Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Monday Morning Geocaching

Ok it's a week late but this Monday was a public holiday so we didn't have our walk. So this is last weeks.

We haven't been geocaching for aaaaaages. When I suggested it as a good Monday morning activity the kids were keen. So I found a cache hidden near a beach and we set off on our treasure hunt.

For those who haven't heard about Geocaching www.geocaching.com it's a treasure hunt guided by GPS. There are hundreds, thousands, probably millions hidden around the planet and certainly hundreds within a smallish radius of us.

The kids found the cache pretty quickly. As we were checking it out we nearly got muggled, and had to shove the cache in our backpack and hightail it down to the beach, returning to hide the cache when the muggles were gone. Muggles are members of the public.... non geocachers, and as caches are usually hidden in spots that often seem obvious once you know they are there, you have to be careful not to be spotted.

Here they are with the cache
And could someone please tell me when Jordan got so big!! I swear I turned around once and he aged 5 years and grew a foot.
After we had hidden the cache again we fossicked around the rockpools and explored a couple of beaches. There were lots of really interesting rocks, and while the boys skimmed stones I hunted for lovely pieces of seaglass and Mia played with seaweed.
Getting out of the house at the crack of dawn on a Monday is sometimes a right pain in the bottie, particularly when the kids are obstreperous and whiney. But I have to say that everyone returns in a far better mood for the effort.

3 comments:

pam hay said...

Oh my Gosh you are right about Jordan getting big! Have to say I have never heard of Geocaching so I am now officially curious as to what sort of stuff is hidden??

BTW Nana was looking lots better today and almost whizzed down the corridor on the walker!!!

keptwoman said...

Nana sounded good today too.

The caches usually contain a bunch of little trinkets and toys. The idea being that you put something in and take something out. It could be a keyring or coin or small toy etc. This time we forgot to take a swap item so we didn't remove anything as we had nothing to replace it with.
It also has a small notebook and pen for you to log the date of your visit with your caching username. This was a basic co-ordinates cache. Some you need to work out a bunch of clues before finding the cache and caches can range from 2 litres like this one to as small as a film canister (only paper and pencil to log in those ones)
We've found some neat places we wouldn't otherwise have gone to by caching.

Angela said...

Wow, I can't wait to start geocaching! I've been wanting to get into this hobby for a year, and thought it would be fun to do with my 4 year old. I even have a bunch of film canisters lined up!

We live in the mountains and I'm excited there are lots of caches right down our road.

Thanks for the blog post to remind me to get my butt in gear!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...