Friday, February 06, 2009

Swimming Lessons, care of Mum.

I pondered swimming lessons for Mia. In the end I decided I have sat beside the pool for enough years while the boys had lessons to know how to teach her myself.   And in a 30 min class the children get about 5 mins one-on-one if they are lucky.  It's an expensive 5 minutes.

I got out some books on the subject but they seemed to be aimed more at teaching a class in a structured way than one-on-one teaching. 

In three sessions at the pool Mia can now torpedo swim (arms straight, tight by the ears and hands together, kicking) about 3/4 of the width of the small pool, she can do a front star float, and a back float.  She can swim well underwater and tries to do some basic strokes.  She has a nice kick and is good at not doing spaghetti legs.  The best thing is that she is having a lot of fun!  Actually so am I;  DIY can be very satisfying.

My next aim is to get her to use a kickboard to swim and move on to arm strokes.

I'm still pondering Connor.  He needs a bit of stroke improvement.  I understand what he is doing wrong but he really isn't improving much under my instructions. I think next time I need to spend some one on one time with him in the pool actually working him through the correct strokes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh. Would you come here and teach PL and me? We're both horrid swimmers, which can be a liability living by 1/5 of the world's fresh water.

Anonymous said...

Good on you for teaching Mia & Connor , swimming.
We were taught by granpop R.

Mia you are doing well keep it up. NANA

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...