Monday, December 01, 2008

Countdown until Summer holidays!

3 weeks to go!
I just did a quick count back and we will have done a 42 week year not including last weeks camp. So I certainly feel that we will have earnt our Christmas week break!

I have been utterly frustrated since the move with the disruption that two days a week away from home for Mia to be at Kindergarten creates. No matter how much stuff we cart up each week, the week still doesn't work the same and we have ended up not covering what I had hoped. I felt burnt out for a while until I realised it was mostly the stress of not keeping to the plan.

I've had to let that go and accept that we will do what we can do. And the boys are currently engrossed in their last units of the year.

Connor is doing a unit on Explorers. He has been busting to make another lapbook, we have only done one this year. So Explorers will culminate in assembly of a lapbook.

We have slowed up on some things but they are still being covered in different ways:
At the moment we are only doing latin vocab in preperation for the push at the beginning of next year to finish Minimus. I discovered part way through that it is utterly essential to know the vocab for previous chapters.
Writing in the form of copywork has been suspended but Connor is enjoying writing a story in his free time. Maths is still going strong and we are on track to finish on time. Yay!! Grammar is business as usual.
Connor has been having fun playing with a chemistry set we got although I have to say that he really isn't learning much except "boy that's a pretty colour that liquid just turned" I have some exciting plans on that front next year.

Jordan is doing a unit on the Tudors. This is a bit of a test run for our new way of doing things next year where his history will be more unit based.
He is on track in maths to finish both Singapore 6 and VELS 8 this year. We have ditched writing for the year but he is still doing plenty in history. French continues as usual.

So anyway. 3 weeks and counting until we all get a well deserved break after a really interesting, hard, varied and event-filled year. I can't wait!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...