Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Roses

The huge rose bush is flowering profusely!

But when you look closer the news is not so good. It's thrips and they have ravaged the bush. Apparantly while roses cope well with drought, so do thrips. In fact they love drought! How can something so small do so much harm?


This is the first pruning bucket. There was a second the same size. And they all need to go in the rubbish as the compost will keep the thrips alive. I'm going to have to deal with it with Orthene because the problem is too big and too wide to deal with any other way.

Meanwhile the other roses do well. They are also showing some signs of thrip damage so they can get a blast of pesticide too.

And these other roses are down the side of the house. The plant actually has two different types on it and what I thought was the roses I think is actually root stock going crazy. I think I will have to prune it hard. So here are what I think are the actual roses. Although they also are showing some thrip damage.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...