Wow! We have been at it a whole week. So how is it going??
The walk/run/ride: This smoke is doing me in! I have a constant headache and a sore chest if I'm out in it long, this is NOT good for the morning exercise. We were going to go to the pool today, but couldn't find the goggles grrrrrr. So anyway, I need to get a little more organised to have inside alternatives for hot/smoky days. I think the pool is the obvious answer, so we need to get our stuff sorted so we can get there without an hours goggle hunt.
Maths: Going well, C is getting the hang of Math U See and starting to enjoy it, yay!!
Grammar: A bit of a mish-mash until next year when we start on First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind Still he is enjoying the workbook, and I may use one to supplement what we do next year.
Writing: arrrgggghhhhhh where is the little guy banging his head? This is really hard, C doesn't want to use an exercise book, he wants to do it in the actual text book, but as there is only 50 pages and they have to last a year clearly that isn't an option. I am pondering buying black-line masters or a program to make up worksheets. We are doing lots of chalk board work before commiting it into the workbook, I am trying to have a minimum of corrections in the workbook.
Reading: I chose a read aloud book which he is really enjoying, got part way through and realised it has a very christian bent. Not that there is anything wrong with that and I know I enjoyed it as a child, but I just worry about reading something out loud that I don't actually believe in, it's a moral dilemma. So I've put the book down until I can pre-read it and gone to good ol' Artemis Fowl.
Other stuff:
We made a homeschool t-shirt. It's a bit worse for wear after one journey through the washing machine, so that's a bit disappointing, but we will fix it.
I am finding that he needs to be constantly organised, he is not good at filling spare time himself, so I need to hunt out some ideas. I had planned only a couple of hours of formal learning, planning that he would relax and unwind for the rest of the day for these two weeks before the holidays and it really isn't enough.
I have had all the resources arrive now except for the Nature Journalling stuff. It's nice to get it all in the cupboard, the main shelf is sagging under the weight and needs some reinforcement desperately.
I need to get onto working out Spell to Write and Read as I am planning to do that over the holidays, the pile of books etc in it is SO daunting!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment