We only did Math for the last day, C was very excited about getting to teach Daddy what he had learnt so far and he did pretty good.
We visited school at the end of the day to give a gift to C's two teachers, he was a bit funny for a while and watched his school DVD again. I think he has quite mixed feelings about school, he misses it, but he knows that it stresses him out. Even that little 10 minute visit upset him enough that his behaviour was pretty appalling for the day. I am glad that it's over now, we have officially said goodbye and never need set foot in there again.
We are taking some time off now.
I need to read through Spell to Write and Read and work it all out so both boys can do it over the holidays. I am planning to work 10 mins a day with J to use it to improve his spelling which is truely atrocious. The lovely Look-See method of teaching combined with a bit of phonics (the sounds without the rules) has left him with the ability to sound out the words but no knowledge of the rules that apply to how to use letters to make the sounds. Then they try to make him learn to spell by memorisation which isn't working at all. Even J realises just how bad the problem is, I can't believe they didn't even mention it in his report. So J is keen to learn spelling over the holidays. So C might as well do it at the same time.
Wild Days by Karen Skidmore Racliffe has also arrived, so I'm looking forward to reading that and getting the Discovery Journalling sorted out in my mind. I am planning to do it right along with C and I aim to do some over the holidays to kind of show the idea. I hope that it will be a really fun part of home ed.
No comments:
Post a Comment