Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Science 2010: Oceanography and Marine Biology

I've decided that this will be our focus for 2010, it will be science for all 3 children and the main study focus for the two younger ones. We are all so excited about getting out in the water and snorkelling and finding creatures (OK, when I say "we all", I do mean predominantly me, but the children are remarkably tolerant of my crazy marine critter obsession) that we decided not to wait until the beginning of the school year in February to get started with it, and we will start right at the beginning of January so we can make the most of nice weather and relaxed days at the beach.

I'm getting the lesson plans from Fieldwork where another homeschool Mom has done a bunch of planning and then put it online for others to share in. I'm doing a bit of addition and alteration (as you do)

This is the main text for Jordan


I've also got:





And as a field guide:


And last by not least, in the stationary department we have purchased some Rite in the Rain notebooks to document our studies. I bought them from Pencil Things whose prices and shipping seemed about the best.

I've also invested in good quality snorkelling gear for all of us. The kids all have wetsuits but I still need one for me.

I've also order loupes and some acrylic specimen boxes from The Private Eye
I'm hoping we can survive with the microscope thing that connects to the computer. We got it at Aldi.

7 comments:

fliztea said...

so fabulous - I have HSing envy

Louise said...

That sounds terrific Sandra

Obi-Mom Kenobi said...

Oh, so jealous!

Kelly said...

Hi There! I'm visiting from TWM forum. Thanks for your comment on why blog? I'm wondering how you got the nice pictures of the books you're using into your blog?

keptwoman said...

Hi Kelly.
I found the book covers using Google Image search then saved them to my computer and the uploaded them.

Christina said...

What do you think of The Ocean Book: Aquarium, Seaside Activities and Ideas for All Ages? Was it super helpful? My library has a copy, but it is currently checked out, but the title sounds good. :)

keptwoman said...

Hi Christina,
I would describe it as decidedly average and not worth spending much money on.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...