Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Camping

You'd think Christmas being mid summer would be warm, and it was 38C a couple of days before Christmas. But true to form (it snowed in the Dandenongs in our first Christmas here!!) it was not at all warm.
We went camping to Upper Yarra Reservoir state park with friends,  it was a really beautiful spot.  Because it was a state park rather than a campground, people were very spread out and we had a nice area to ourselves.
We arrived on the 24th, and as we left Melbourne it was drizzling.  As we drove further into the hills the drizzle turned into steady rain, and we had the joy of setting up in the rain. Fortunately it wasn't cold.

Christmas day the rain held off, we had a campfire going and it wasn't particularly cold.



Lunch was scrummy, I love the way each person does a little work and the result is a feast!



After lunch it was time to open the presents from friends and family.



During our stay the children were well occupied.  These are King Parrots and they were very tame and friendly.  Fortunately I'd brought some bird seed.






We were camped right by a big Oak tree and the children spent hours swinging from two swings hung from the branches.



While we were there Richard and Connor made a new Indiana Jones movie with many of the kids as extras.  We will aim to edit it in the next few days, then put it up.

Camping wouldn't be camping without encountering a lovely big spider. This one is a huntsmen, he was about 10-15cm across and I had the joy of discovering him when I opened the tent flaps one morning. Yes, I screamed.



On the way home, we stopped at the Big Peninsular Tunnel.   Gold miners dug this about 100 years ago so they could look for gold in the river bed.  The water still runs here and the old bed is dry and overgrown.  It's a really beautiful spot!




Mia wasn't well, so she wasn't remotely interested in getting near the water.


Sometimes because it's now our "normal", I forget just how different the Australian landscape is to the NZ landscape. This is the road down to the tunnels.

2 comments:

Camille said...

Beautiful pictures! I especially love the water and road pic.s Reminds me of some places around here.

Joanne said...

Looks like a nice spot. Love the photo of the parrot with its head cocked to one side- too cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...