Saturday, September 27, 2008

School Space photos

Non-homeschoolers will most likely think these pictures odd. However I know there are plenty of crazy people (like me) who like to pour over other peoples school room photos for organisational ideas. These photos are for them :)

Our School space is in a corner of our main living room. As such it doesn't have much wall space and the only map I hung fell down. I am planning to put up a roller blind map, I got that wonderful idea from a clever WTMer. The location also means that school is part of life and that works really well for us.

So here are the pictures...


We have a very large desk which I share with the printer, pencils, filing etc. My credenza is under it.
The boys each have a desk which face each other, under these are their credenzas.
Mia has a smaller desk and her credenza sits beside it.

This is a close up of a credenza. The kids keep all their day to day texts and exercise books in them. They keep all their supplies and bits and pieces in the drawers. We have a clear desk policy so their desks are cleared each night to keep mess to a minimum. As you can see it didn't happen this particular night. I'm feeling very lucky to have got these from Ikea when we did and to get 4, when I had initially thought of buying less of them. They are so great and are now obsolete.



The main shelving unit. All the art supplies, science kits, paper, stationary, textbooks, curriculum, manuals etc etc etc are in here. Art has rather taken over more than I expected. It is so bulky. Hopefully eventually we will put doors down both sides to hide much of the chaos.


Then these are the divider shelves that divide the school space from the dining room and hide the mess from the front door area. They are more for display but hopefully I will soon have some fun science and maths stuff to put here to entice Mia to learn all the while thinking she is playing (insert evil laugh here)

At the side of the shelves you can see our wonderful wonderful wonderful $40 Ikea whiteboard. Oh how I love Ikea. Every item of furniture you see here is Ikea. The whiteboard is used constantly for writing, maths, explaining concepts, brainstorming and just plain old drawing. If I had room I'd have one 3 times the size but this does us just fine. The kids have even learnt to put the lids back on the markers...wonders will never cease!!



Our latest bit of fun which is not in this photo is using liquid chalk to write latin vocab to learn onto the window.

Well that's it folks :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was fun to take a peek into your workspace. We, too, have no separate space so I enjoyed seeing how you made things livible. Do all your children work quietly? One of our main issues is the noise factor (adhd son, LOUD 4yo, noisy toddler). My son wakes up at 6 to get as much done as he can when the house is quiet, and my dds are constantly moving around from bedroom to bedroom looking for a quiet space.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...