Monday, September 22, 2014

Travel Journal.... after the travel

This is an update on how our Travel Journalling went.

Summary:

It went really well! We did them regularly, they were not onerous to do. The printer worked great to allow us to finish pages at the time rather than later.  The whole system was a big hit.

I can't emphasise enough that doing a journal yourself encourages your children to do the same, and even if getting THEM to do it is a nightmare, you will have your own precious record.

We've journal led every major family holiday, but these journals win by far, for enjoyment of doing, ease and end result.

More details:

Firstly mine. I had planned about 2.5 pages per location. It was only just enough.
I found the theme a bit restrictive, in that we weren't actually FLYING that much. Never mind, the pages still looked pretty. I also did not like the half pages, they blocked content on the other pages, next time I'd just use full pages. The journal was also a little small at 8x5.5"
I loved the journalling cards and used almost all of them, I wish I'd bought some 4x6 ones though as they sometimes were a bit small. The washi tape worked great.
The printer, along with collage apps on the iPhone was a huge success, although it started banding after I dropped it at one stage.
I had planned to be able to add brochures as we went using the rings and the hole punch, but Vietnam doesn't do brochures. I did use the system to add in postcards as pages though.


Here are some of the pages:







Mia's journal was also a real success, the Smash book was a great size, and she was able to have some fun with the journalling cards. She enjoyed being able to post in photos of herself on the trip.
The speech bubbles were from the cheap paper set, and as you can see they were well used. The card stock decals were from two different Kaisercraft collections.

Some pictures of her journal





Connor also did his willingly and has come out with a lovely momento that he can't find right now. So no photos of it. He loved the size, it was just perfect for him.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...