Our Golden Orb Weaver. She is famous because all the school children on their way from school each day stop to marvel at her size. Everyday at home time, we go out for something or other and find groups of children staring at her.
I don't know how to take a photo so you can really see her, in this photo you can mostly see her huge abdomen, her cephalothorax is hardly visible behind the bee she is eating.
She has positioned herself on a web which is about 70cm in diameter and held to various garden objects with thread thicker than I thought it possible for a spider to make. Her web is right by the ivy which is in flower and the bees are creating a rich diet for her. Hence her size which is, according to sites I have read, far greater than your average Golden Orb Weaver, her abdomen is about 1 inch long at a guesstimate. The thread of food behind her is one of the things that distinguishes this spider from others.
I know this is a girl, because the male of the species reaches a whole 5mm, and apparantly there may be a number of males hanging about at the edge of her web.
2 comments:
She is a beauty! I can understand why all the neighbor kids are fascinated by her.
Very impressive, she's beautiful! Smart spider too, she chose a great location. Nothing better than to sit back and have food be served constantly.
Post a Comment