Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Garden Update January 2010

The garden has been planted for about 2 months.
Last week I went out hoping for zucchinis and managed to get 3 tiny ones.  This week one was turning into a marrow.  This is todays haul.   There are a couple of stunted ones that were the first ones on two plants but the new ones coming through are great.




Today I bit the bullet and went to sort out the tomatoes.  They have had a sudden growth spurt and really should have been staked a couple of weeks ago.  They now have their first fruits appearing.  YAY!!
I cut up an old t-shirt for ties.




So this is before

And after




The parsley seed I sowed came up but the chives did not.  I bought a punnet.
  The cauliflower is up as is more lettuce.  A cucumber is doing well and some kind of cucurbit has self sown.
 The silverbeet and beetroots are doing well although the beetroot are a little close together.  Radishes are ready for picking. Not long now and I will be able to make a whole meal from the garden! If only we had chooks (they are coming soon I hope)

So here are the 4 beds:  Bed one is the one with the tomatoes. It also has radish, basil, beetroot, capsicum and chillies which are near picking.
Bed two has beans, zucchinis, silverbeet and potatoes.  I think a glut of zucchini is on the way. I hope our neighbours like them! Half of it was compost but is now ready to plant, boy compost breaks down fast in the garden!

Bed three has lettuce, cauliflower, parsley, chives and the self sown wotsit (I'm sure I'll work out what it is soon)  It needs building up before I can plant more.


Here are the lettuce, I'm finding that even 4 planted at a time is too much as they do turn to seed quite suddenly.  I think I'll aim for 2 a fortnight.


And lastly bed 4, it has a lone cucumber because the snails ate the other two (grrrr) and it's the new compost heap. The white stuff is shredded paper, a bit of an experiment.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sandra you have a great garden you sure will be able to have a good few meal off the vegies, whats this about chooks, hows the worm farm going, nana you will be rating the chooks as well, nana

Joanne said...

Looking good. Don't give up on the chives. I planted some in a pot a year or more ago and after taking forever to come up and then looking like narrow, stunted grass blades for even longer they are just now starting to look like chives should look.

keptwoman said...

Joanne: I ended up buying a punnet of chives, so I now have chives doing nicely. Sometimes impatience is easier!

Nana: yes we are thinking about getting some chooks. We have lost our supply of cheap, free range eggs so we might have to bite the bullet.

Obi-Mom Kenobi said...

Oh, your zucchini are making me jealous! I hope your tomatoes grow like mad for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...