On the 6th of December it was one year since Connor finished school. As I wrap up the school year I've been pondering how we have gone in all areas, along with where we are headed.
First the boring easily quantifiable stuff:
Maths
Where we are:
When Connor finished school he didn't have the basic facts cemented and so was struggling. A year later we have done 1 1/2 levels of Math U See. His basic facts are absolutely cemented. He has a far better grasp of Place Value. He is doing Multi-digit addition with ease. I'm sure subtraction will come just as easy.
Where we are going:
I will continue with maths over the holidays once a week, just so we don't have to go backwards before going forwards next year. Next year will see us complete multi digit subtraction and basic multiplication and division. As well as a bit of time, geometry and measurement thrown in.
Grammar
Where we are:
Connor has done 2 years of grammar this year, by doing grammar 4-5 days most weeks. He now understands the basics of punctuation and parts of a sentence. He has memorised most of the word definitions and a number of poems.
Where we are going:
Next year Grammar will drop back to 2-3 days a week. We will cement already learned concepts as well as adding in more complex sentence analysis. Poems will be longer and the copywork and dictation paragraphs will be longer.
Spelling
Connors spelling has improved right along with his reading. I tested again today and he is sitting at Grade 4 level. Fabulous! He seems to be a very visual learner and only needs to see/write a word a couple of times to remember how to spell it. Next year we will continue with our spelling program.
Hand Writing
Where we are:
At the end of last year Connors handwriting was messy and poorly formed. His letters are now tidier and far more consistent. Down with Victorian Cursive, long live Italic! He is still reversing some letters, but fewer and less often than a year ago. I have let handwriting slip a little in the last few months of the year and it has shown in Connors work.
Where we are going:
I will start with some intensive letter practice, then be sure to keep up weekly review of one letter group to make sure that his writing stays consistently good. In theory we should be moving to Cursive Italic, I'm inclined to think we will stick with printing for now.
Writing
Where we are:
Connor is reluctant to write. I have not pushed this issue, I have worked on the mechanics of our language. I do not believe as schools seem to that children should be doing all sorts of writing genres and creative writing at this age. Connor is able to sequence ideas and is getting better at being able to summarise what he has read. Connor much prefers to type, and I am happy for him to continue in this if his ideas best flow in this way. But some writing will always be required. Connor has written one short story and is part way through writing another, completely of his own volition.
Where we are going:
More copywork, more dictation. I expect Connor to be writing at least a paragraph by the end of the first term. We may move writing up to first thing in the morning before he gets grumpy since it's his least liked subject.
We will also publish and illustrate at least one short story and give doing so a little more priority in our timetable.
Reading
Where we are:
I'm not a teacher and I can't determine Connors reading age, although I daresay there are people who could do it for me if I cared. All I know is that he can read almost any book that he cares to in terms of the mechanics. Of course comprehension is another matter, but he is happily reading and understanding basic chapter books. Given that a year ago he was on basic readers, we are thrilled with this.
Connor completed the Premiers Reading Challenge, and read every one of the books himself even though his schooled peers were allowed to count books read to them by their parents.
I think one of the major improvements in reading this year has been a willingness to do it, and enjoyment in the books. Yay for literature!
Where we are going:
Next year I will be introducing a few compulsory readers around the history eras we are studying. Connor is reluctant to try new writers and series, preferring to stick to ones he knows. Next year we will work on him being a little more adventurous in his choice of books.
History
Where we are:
History has definitely been the highlight this year. We have had a lot of fun learning about history and Connor has got well into the spirit of each era, dressing in the time period and playing role play for hours on end. I think that I have been a little pedantic at times about doing absolutely all of the book and not missing anything, toward the end of the year I have lightened up, and let things flow a bit more. Lapbooks have been good and bad; good because they are well done and Connor is proud of them, bad because it can be a bit of a drag getting him to actually do the work for them and they sit in the realms of "should I bother, is this important enough to fight about"
Where we are going:
We will finish Rome over the holidays and do some of the Rome activities that we haven't got to.
Then onwards and upwards into the Middle Ages. More activities, less emphasis on covering absolutely everything.
Science
Where we are:
I had planned to do Nature Study and science unit studies in areas of Connors interest. Not a major success. Connor often didn't have any particular area of interest and when he did, by the time I had a unit sorted he had lost interest. I gave up on the plants unit before the end, although I do think he learnt the basics, so that's good.
We didn't do nature study enough, but when we did do it, it was very enjoyable. Connor did a few Chemistry experiments with Richard.
I see science as my major failing this year.
Where we are going:
Earth Science and Astronomy with R.E.A.L science as our spine. This will give us a basic outline of what to cover in the year. I don't expect to do it to the letter, but we will spend more time on things of interest and have some fun while learning more than we did this year.
We will schedule Nature study either 2 weekly or monthly.
Art
Where we are:
Less art than I would like, and when we did do it there was a reluctance on Connors part due to his perfectionist streak.
Where we are going:
Regular art sessions with another family, this will allow a group dynamic and a commitment to arrange and do it.
Lote
Where we are:
Just starting Latin
Where we are going:
More latin with Minimus
Well this has turned out longer than I thought, so I will come back tomorrow and talk about all the other wonderful non-subject areas to look back on.
No comments:
Post a Comment